This AME role will be a member of the Advanced Manufacturing Industry 4. 0 team. The Industry 4. 0 Team owns and maintains the engineering standards for electrical, automation, robot and test equipment for the company. This AME role will be responsible for the design and development of advanced applied robotic solutions, 2D/3D guided robotics, and mobile robotics solutions within the appliance manufacturing industrial environment. The position additionally develops, maintains and ensures that all procured or modified equipment is compliant with standards and executed within the project or program deliverables (cost, quality and delivery). The AME will be a key liaison between the project teams and manufacturing teams; ensuring that plant priorities and
purpose are clearly understood and considered for the area under their ownership.
What You Will Do
• Give advanced manufacturing robotic electrical, instrumentation and test system expertise in leading detailed and comprehensive planning for conceptualization, specification, development and implementation of right-sized manufacturing and test equipment. Responsibilities can extend across all areas of manufacturing and warehouse facilities.
• Manage robotic and control portions of capital equipment expenditures that support new product designs, factory capacity or efficiency additions, and quality improvement goals (typical project scope involves the development of specifications, supplier management, purchase, installation and qualification of the manufacturing test equipment).
• Participate within Production Preparation Process (3P) in developing workstation, test equipment and processes. Utilize cross-functional groups to ensure that the instrumentation, equipment and processes are compatible with the entire value stream. Efforts should include: right-sized equipment, workstation design, product presentation, standard work and single piece flow. Use data and statistics to characterize delivered test process capabilities in qualifying the release of test equipment.
Standards and Compliance:
• Ensure all equipment executed in GEA factories comply with Industry (ANSI, ISO, NFPA, UL) and Governmental Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) standards.
• Utilize Human Organizational Performance (HOP) principles to ensure that all equipment and processes are implemented with the health and safety of the operators in mind. Develop mockups and prototypes to validate new designs and test for shop floor confirmation.
•Work with functional leaders to ensure test equipment & processes support business initiatives of Lean Manufacturing, Ergonomic Design and Total Productive Maintenance (TPM)
•Work with factory operations and Lean teams to understand the Value Stream and how your projects impact this. Ensure material flow, workstation set up, model mix, etc. are considered when workstations / equipment are designed.
•Investigate new technologies and automation for appliance manufacturing and recommend applicable new technologies to quality and business leaders.
•Deliver guidance to cross-functional team members with regard to safety, performance and reliability testing systems.
•Utilize technical and project experience to add to the Advanced Manufacturing Industry 4. 0 teams’ body of knowledge to drive continuous improvement throughout the organization and company.
•Work with design team to ensure Design for Manufacturing & Assembly (DFMA) and Design for Testability (DFT) is considered on part design.
• Working conditions are normal for a high volume manufacturing environment.
• Work may involve lifting of materials and product up to 30 pounds and working in and around heavy equipment.
• Working in this environment requires the use of safety equipment to include but not limited to; eye safety glasses, hearing protectors, work boots, and hardhats.
• These roles will require frequent walking in a manufacturing plant environment.
• 10-15% travel may be for domestic and/or international travel to supplier sites/ plants, etc.
• Hours & Weekends: Working off-shift and weekends will be required.
What You Need to Succeed
Prior relevant military service will be considered in relation to required/desired qualifications.
• Experience managing capital equipment procurement projects: Including specification development, supplier selection, technical reviews, installation and qualification of equipment
• Prior experience in a large scale manufacturing environment
• Experience with Lean manufacturing principles
• Ability to work in large cross-functional teams and at multiple levels in the organization (both salaried and shop floor operators / skilled trades team members)
• Good communication skills – will be expected to give program report outs to cross-functional team.
• Good organizational, project management and presentation skills to interact with all levels within the organization and with suppliers and vendors
• Demonstrated ability to take ownership of cross-functional program deliverables and ability to facilitate decisions based on the overall well being of the company.
• BS Degree in Robotics, Mechanical Engineering, or related field.
• Familiar with at least one CAD package, preferably Solidworks, AutoCAD, ProE, Inventor and experienced with 3D additive printing.
• Strong mechanical aptitude and hands on experience with mechanical fabrication and sensing technologies, pneumatics, hydraulics, schematics.
• Comfortable with hands on in the lab assembling mechanical components and electronics, soldering boards, wiring connectors.
• Mechanical assemblies, welding, cutting, machining, milling, lathe.
• Comfortable with coding Python, C#, VB
• Experience with relays, sensors, valves
• Experience with programming industrial robots (FANUC, ABB, etc…)
• Electrical controls design and troubleshooting
• Excellent oral and written presentation skills, with ability to communicateeffectively to fellow researchers, and business-minded stakeholders.
• Experience in automation and robotics technology research and development.
What is in there for you:
• Occasional travel 10-15%
• Continued education, training opportunities
• Working in on fun projects, prototyping and rapid development
GE Appliances will not offer sponsorship assistance for this position.